WPBeginner has a easy to follow tutorial on activating the free Let’s Encrypt SSL certificate for your WordPress site, assuming your web host supports them. The really simple ssl plugin mentioned makes the process painless for existing sites.
If you are on HawkHost, you can view their announcements here on their Let’s Encrypt and 2FA support. In short, you can get the free SSL certificate by:
- Logging to cPanel, locate the Security section and click on “Lets Encrypt™ SSL” option to start the process.
- You can then select the domain that you would like HawkHost to issue the SSL certificate to.
- You will be brought to a confirmation page. On confirmation, HawkHost will generate the SSL certificate for you.
- Back in your WordPress admin page, activate the really simple ssl plugin and click on the button “Go ahead, activate SSL!”.
- You might be logged out of the admin page. If so, login again and you will discover that your WordPress site is now on SSL.
- Refer back to the WPBeginner tutorial for additional details like Google Analytics updates.